07.23.21 | Newsletter
AAFCO 2021 Annual Meeting slated for Aug. 2-4
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) will conduct a virtual meeting on Aug. 2-4 to discuss a variety of animal food regulatory issues.
Among the topics to be addressed during the meeting are:
• Activities being conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM), which will be reported on by Dr. Tim Schell, director of CVM’s Office of Surveillance and Compliance;
• Guidelines associated with contaminants that may be present in mineral feed ingredients;
• Guidelines for animal food nutrients associated with nutrient toxicity;
• The definition of “labeling,” and how the term applies to promotional and/or marketing material associated with a product;
• Identification of “common foods,” to designate ingredients that may be acceptable for use in animal food, but that are not listed among the Common or Usual Ingredient Names and Ingredient Definitions within the AAFCO Official Publication;
• Modernization of pet food labels; and
• Independent conclusions of generally recognized as safe (GRAS) animal food ingredients.
NGFA feed industry members and NGFA staff serve as non-voting advisers to AAFCO committees and will be participating in the meeting.
Information on how to register to gain full access for the event is available on the AAFCO website. In addition, complimentary live-audio listen-only access (no video webcast access) will be available. Conference line audio access information is included within the committee agendas publicly available on the AAFCO website.